View Local Events
- This event has passed.
Horan Natural Area – Share Your Ideas!
November 6, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Title: Horan Natural Area – Share Your Ideas!
Date: Oct. 16, 2019
From: Susan Ballinger, North Central WA Audubon Society Member, Friends of Horan Sub-Committee member. firstname.lastname@example.org 509.669.7820
This fall, residents of North Central Washington have a unique opportunity to express their vision for the future of the Horan Natural Area. The Horan Natural Area (HNA) provides valuable bird and wildlife habitat on 100 acres of the Wenatchee River delta as it enters the Columbia River. Situated within the City of Wenatchee, the HNA supports a wide range of recreational and educational uses while connecting parks to the north and south. Currently, the Chelan PUD is seeking guidance from customer stakeholders about the future of HNA.
The North Central Washington Audubon Society (NCWAS) would like to encourage individuals and organizations to complete the Chelan PUD’s survey on their website, write a letter, attend a workshop on Nov. 6, or send an email to the Chelan PUD to support their long-term vision for the Horan area.
The Chelan County PUD will host two public workshops to discuss future plans for the Horan Natural Area. Their website (: https://www.chelanpud.org/parks-and-recreation/our-parks/south-confluence-area) introduces their vision for the area:
Chelan County PUD and Washington State Parks have established a collective vision for the long-term management of the South Confluence Area (SCA) within the Horan Natural Area. Our goal is to sustain a functioning ecosystem, while providing recreational access for enjoyment, education and interpretation of its historical and natural resources for future generations.
Current planning by the Chelan County PUD creates a unique opportunity to design and implement improvements to the Horan Natural Area. NCWAS supports:
• Introduction of a reliable surface water source to supply flowing water to connect a network of ponds that are designed to enhance shorebird and waterfowl use.
• Design and construct a cultural history site that honors the history of Native American use and reestablishes indigenous peoples’ presence in the area.
• Construction and maintenance of an Environmental Educational Center to host displays and programs connecting all residents and communities with North Central Washington’s lands and waters.
• Development of a vegetative management plan emphasizing the protection of culturally important plants, minimization of weeds, and enhancement of native plant species.
• Design, construction, and maintenance of a terrestrial and aquatic trail system that encourages use of the Horan for a wide variety of multi-lingual recreational experiences.
Two community open-house gatherings are offered on November 6, 2019: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm, held at the Confluence Technology Center, 285 Technology Center Way, in Wenatchee. The PUD website has background Information and a short survey here: https://www.chelanpud.org/parks-and-recreation/our-parks/south-confluence-area
Please send your supporting letters or comments by November 6, 2019 to:
Director, Hydro Licensing and Compliance
Chelan County PUD
327 N. Wenatchee Ave.
Wenatchee, WA 98801