Skip to content

Wenatchee Mayor says Lighthouse Ministries “Causing More Harm Than Good” for City’s Homelessness Issues

Wenatchee Mayor Frank Kuntz talks with KOHO Morning Show host Chris Hansen about the city’s issues with homelessness and points to several reasons for the problem is expanding, including how the Lighthouse Ministries is “causing more harm than good” in his opinion.

17 Comments

1. Meg Driscoll on August 31, 2020 at 5:45 pm

Many of the homeless in our community suffer from some form of mental illness. I have wondered for months how it is possible that Catholic Charities, one of the main mental health care facilities in town and are considered essential have been closed since the beginning of the COVID outbreak? This agency was heavily utilized not only by the homeless, the mentally ill and severely suicidal people in our community but is was also a liaison for law enforcement, the jail, the emergency room and other agencies.

These other agencies have continued working through the pandemic to help these individuals in need yet Catholic Charities, who provides the majority of this type of assistance to our community are allowed to completely abandon their clients. If the state can force businesses to close that aren’t essential they should also mandate that businesses that are essential remain open and provide services that are in desperate need to so many in our community.

• Gina Byrd on October 8, 2021 at 7:57 am

Catholic Charities did not abandon anyone, they just did phone and zoom meetings.

2. Debbie Hilua on September 1, 2020 at 1:28 pm

I was on board with everything the mayor was saying until he said he had to deliver narcan twice because of a white substance coming out of back seat of a vehicle he had detained. First and formost the officer would have ingest the substance in order to display signs of overdosing on opioids. Even if that was the case you wouldn’t administer two doses on the officer as first taught to do would be call 911. I hate to be lied to and that’s what the mayor has done. However, I do agree with the fact that the lighthouse ministries enable drug addiction and I have been telling everyone in my church that since I said yes to Jesus 7yrs ago.

3. Deb McCallum on September 1, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Frank,
    Obviously you have no idea what LightHouse does. Why would you make that statement without meeting with the LightHouse board. I am shocked you actually made this statement without doing that.

4. Richard J Shane on September 1, 2020 at 7:03 pm

The problems right out in front of you
    Wenatchee Government

get out there and help those people you freaking government lifers

Richard Shane

5. Aaron Ermine on September 2, 2020 at 8:24 am

I’m sorry but instead of trying to blame a great place of God! Maybe we had to try and figure out what the root problem is of the situation. As a prior homeless person and drug addicted person the lighthouse ministry helped me in many different ways they gave me a different tools to be able to help myself and find different ways of contacting people that can help me to get housed they kept me from getting becoming very depressed I was suicidal when I went there yes they feed get people homes they get people hope and for somebody to say that they’re doing more harm than good I don’t know how that could be because they are out there trying to save people and help people get through obstacles that normally wouldn’t be that easy to do without them so I’m sorry but the mayor is very wrong when they say that the house lighthouse ministries is doing worse than good to me that’s passing the buck and irresponsible and Petty to try and blame a place of worship for a homeless pandemic that is happening with the coronavirus going on granted yes people are homeless and there’s nothing anybody can do about it other than the person that is homeless but not in all cases that’s true so I think we all could take a little bit of I don’t know I don’t know how to say it but inspiration from this because they are housing people they are feeding people and not everybody in Wenatchee including the mayor is doing that.

6. Aaron Ermine on September 2, 2020 at 8:49 am

hi my name is earlier mine I would like to talk to somebody if you’re willing about to comment that the mayor of Wenatchee is saying lighthouse ministries is doing more harm than good. I was homeless and the lighthouse ministries prevented me from committing suicide help me get tools to get a house they helped me with everything that the that the mayor was saying was bad so if somebody could get a hold of me my phone number is …….. and I would be glad to comment on that situation thank you

7. HM on September 2, 2020 at 9:31 am

You don’t realize that the people downtown have mental health issues and probably need real help. not temporary help. Maybe if we had more places to live that were affordable there would be less homeless people.

8. Randee on September 2, 2020 at 10:39 am

I’m curious what Frank would propose we do.
    I mean, giving someone a meal is hardly a problem.

9. Shelly on September 2, 2020 at 11:27 am

So sad mr Kuntz that you dont seem to to anything about it when there is a building for the homeless and its empty why is that mr Kuntz

10. SM on September 2, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Pretty pathetic Mayor. I have seen the homeless around Wenatchee since the 70’s, but now it’s the Lighthouse Ministry that is the cause. Nice attempt at deflection. Sadly you along with other mayor’s have led us down the road to bad laws by your policy’s, now we’re all paying the price.

11. Marsha Eastman on September 2, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Luke 6 32-42
    Lighthouse ministries is a way for people to not only feed their bodie5 but one of the few avenues to feed their souls and become whole. Government agency’s are more the cause of people becoming dependent than giving them the tools to be independent. There but for the grace of God go I, my brother, sister, son , daughtr….

12. Joe on September 2, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Well, there’s a big shocker. The same man who tried to call patriots willing to stand up for our city “not what this city is about” is willing to say a place who helps the homeless “more harm then good” I’ve heard all I needed to hear from this man. How about actually doing something like getting more involved in the recovery portion of homeless. Job training. Chemical dependency recovery programs. You know small things like that rather then blame others for the lack of things you and your administration is doing. Buck stops with the leader pal.

13. Brett on September 3, 2020 at 8:42 am

I guess I am not surprised by his comments. I am also very glad I do not live in the city limits. If he thinks they do more harm than good, what is his proof? What has his government done? I have seen homelessness increase over the last few years, what has he done to help these people. After his comments over the armed group of people during the BLM protests, saying “that is not who we are” showed me his true colors. I guess he is against peace and lawfulness? Was he saying he was ok if the protest turned into a riot? And we the people do not have the right to protect ourselves? I think Kuntz should adopt the phrase for his ideology, ” LOW” ” look the other way”

14. greg gault on September 7, 2020 at 1:11 pm

I was surprised to hear mayor Kuntz make this statement. Maybe I shouldn’t have been considering other statements he has made. To deride an organization that is helping people seems counter productive and unnecessarily harsh. He speaks as if the homeless were like invasive weeds that needed to be routed out. They’re people Mr. Kuntz.

15. Gerry P Bordon on March 13, 2021 at 2:52 pm

When I listened to the Mayors comments, I did not hear that he disagreed with what the Lighthouse ministries was doing or that their services weren’t needed. What I did hear is that he is concerned about the rising number of homeless people being drawn into the Wenatchee area because the Lighthouse provides meals and other services that are not being offered in other communities. Apparently, their is concern about the impact of additional homeless people on the downtown area streets and parks.

16. Lori Luby on November 11, 2021 at 11:33 am

We live in a broken world, and we are all broken people. The lighthouse is a refuge for just such people who need to hear and see the Love of God displayed thru the volunteers that work there.
    I challenge you Mr. Mayor to go spend a day feeding the homeless, stop and talk with them display love not hate.
    Drugs are a problem everywhere, I am a recovering addict myself attempted suicide more times than I want to admit, it would have been great to have such a place like the Lighthouse at that time in my life.
    I since found the Lord and he is transforming me into a new creation, I love myself today. This is exactly what the Lighthouse offers,Gods grace and love by sharing his word in Bible study groups and displaying thru all that work there.
    Some of these people just need to be loved, and need to hear that they are so special in Gods eyes, how much God loves them for who they are. There is forgivness in the Lord God Bless