Skip to content

Suncrest Fire Update: 5 p.m. Sunday Aug. 28

Calm weather and helicopter drops are helping firefighters working on the Suncrest Fire, which is threatening dozens of homes near North Road west of Peshastin. Fire information officer Alan Hoffmeister told KOHO the fire is burning on about 300 acres just east of Leavenworth. Hoffmeister said about 100 homes remain under Level 3 evacuation orders and 60 homes under Level 2, but so far no structures have been lost. The fire began Saturday afternoon near Suncrest Drive north of North Road. Hoffmeister said fire crews were aided today by retardant planes and other aircraft dropping buckets of water on the flames. Authorities estimated that the fire was between 25 and 35 percent contained, but Hoffmeister said that estimate would likely change as more crews returned from the field to assist with mapping efforts. Officials believe the fire was likely human caused.

1 Comment

  1. MegAnn Scharpp on August 29, 2016 at 4:00 am

    Last night and this morning -it was was said that one home had been lost and the fire was 75% contained. What has changed?

    To all involved – BE SAFE!

Leave a Comment